Are these new improved banners available for inspection and comment?
Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Megan Hernandez
Sent: Friday, 20 November 2015 10:07 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising Update

Hi all,

We are just a few weeks away from the launch of the December English
fundraiser.  The end of the year is the most critical time of the year for
Wikimedia’s fundraising: The goal this year is $25 million.  The campaign will
launch in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland on Giving
Tuesday <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giving_Tuesday>, December 1st.

In these past months of preparation, we have relied on feedback from the
volunteer community, readers, and staff through discussion pages, feedback
sessions, phone calls, interviews, user testing, surveys and A/B tests.
Thank you to everyone for participating! It has truly been a helpful experience
and wonderful to hear from so many voices from all different parts of the
movement.

In just the last two weeks, an independent research firm conducted a new survey
of Wikipedia readers. (You may remember that we did a similar survey last
February.) We heard from you last spring that there were some additional
concerns that you would like us to explore with readers.  We tried to look into
those concerns in this survey. We have uploaded the survey report on Commons
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Wikimedia_Reader_Survey_November_2015.pdf>
for anyone who is interested in reading it. We have also setup a section on the
Fundraising Meta page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising#Reader_Survey_November_2015>
to discuss the survey.

The feedback from readers, the volunteer community and staff has been critical
to shape the campaign. Several improvements have been made so far as a direct
result of this input.  We have changed a few specific sentences of the message
that were discussed heavily on meta pages and also tried a variety of design
ideas based on comments.

We also have some fresh banner ideas that came about through a recent workshop
with staff.  We will be testing those new banner ideas in small runs throughout
the campaign as well.  And we’re still gathering ideas! To see the latest
version of the message and submit your ideas, please visit the fundraising
ideas meta page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2015-16_Fundraising_ideas>.

Since last year, we have made improvements to our banner targeting and
analytics systems with the goal of raising the budget, while limiting the
number of banners and disruption for our readers. We aim to run the campaign
for roughly two weeks at a high traffic level and then at a much reduced level
for the rest of December.

The fundraising team faces a great challenge this year: the highest revenue
target in WMF history along with a decline in page views – particularly in
desktop pageviews where readers are more likely to donate. The team has and
will continue to work hard to make improvements needed to reach this goal.
We cannot do this alone.  Thank you to everyone who has offered input,
expertise, time and energy into helping make this fundraiser a success.

We look forward to your ideas and questions. Since the team experiences an
incredibly high volume of seasonal work, we will not be able to respond
immediately to questions or feedback.  We will review feedback and bug reports
regularly and we have dedicated time to post an update by mid-December and
again at the end of the campaign.  Here’s how to get
involved:

   -

   To file a bug report or technical issue, please create a phabricator
   ticket
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?template=118862>
   or email problemsdonat...@wikimedia.org
   -

   To see the latest news from the team, see the fundraising meta page
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising>
   -

   To suggest a banner idea, visit the test ideas meta page
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2015-16_Fundraising_ideas>
   -

   To read the latest reader survey, see the

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Wikimedia_Reader_Survey_November_2015.pdf>full
   report on commons

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Wikimedia_Reader_Survey_November_2015.pdf>
   -

   To learn more about the fundraising program and last year’s campaign,
   see the 2014-15 fundraising report
   <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report>

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the campaign preparations.
More importantly, thank you to the entire Wikimedia community for building this
incredible project that readers love and support with their donations.  None of
this would be possible without you.

Megan

--

Megan Hernandez