Hoi,
When a benefit is "Wikimedia specific" and thereby dismissed, you miss much
of what is going on. Exactly because of this link most items are well
defined as to what they are about. It is not perfect but it is good.
Consequently Wikidata is able to link Wikipedia in any language to sources
external to Wikipedia. This is a big improvement over linking external
sources to a Wikipedia. The disambiguation of subjects is done at the
Wikidata end.

You make Wikidata to be a "default reference source". Given its current
state, it is a bit much. Wikidata does not have the maturity to function as
such. The best pointer to this fact is that 50% of all items has two or
fewer statements.

When you compare the quality of Wikipedias with what en.wp used to be you
are comparing apples and oranges. The Myanmar Wikipedia is better informed
on Myanmar than en.wp etc.

When you qualify a Wikipedia as fascist, it does not follow that the data
is suspect. Certainly when data in a source that you so easily dismiss is
typically the same, there is not much meaning in what you say from a
Wikidata point of view.

I am thrilled that sources are so important to the Wikimedia movement and
again, I am wondering what you hope to achieve by this pronouncement. Be
realistic what is it that you want to achieve? Is quality important to you
and, how do you define it and more importantly how do you want to achieve
it. Have you seen the statistics on sources [1]? Then have a better look
and you will find that real sources are mostly absent. Adding sources one
statement at a time will not significantly improve quality because that is
a numbers game and it is easier to achieve quality in a different way.

When a librarian says that many sources copy each others data and that this
is a problem, the bigger problem is missed. The bigger problem is not where
they agree but where they disagree. Arguably they are the statements where
quality is more likely an issue. Now ask your librarian what is likely to
improve Wikidata more either find Sources for the statements that differ of
find Sources where the statements agree. Wikidata is not authoritative but
when our community starts researching such issues both Wikidata and other
sources will improve rapidly their quality. This is not to say that in the
end you want both Sources where sources agree and disagree.

Then ask your librarian if there is a problem with missing data  We can
import data from sources and consequently be more informative or we do not
import more data and people have to magically combine information that
exists in many sources to get a composite view. We could see Wikidata as a
place where data is combined and compared with other sources, Do tell your
librarian that the process mentioned above should be iterative and it will
be easily understood that comparing with just one additional source will
improve the focus on likely issues even more.

PS What does your librarian think when she knows that the Dutch National
Library is inclined to provide us with software so that books can be
ordered at Dutch libraries from Wikidata data (and by inference from
Wikipedias)?

When some see Wikidata as a source of reference, they will increasingly be
served a better product. At this moment it is not good at all.

When German Wikimedians have concerns about quality.WONDERFUL but what have
they done to improve things? Do they apply Wikipedia standards and how does
that help?

You wonder why have "bad" data in the first place... Our data IS bad and
there is not enough of it for it to be really useful. We can easily add
more data and have a more useful result We can easily compare sources and
ask people to concentrate on differences. However you can not tell me to
add Sources to the data that I add. I will tell you to do it yourself. I am
happy to improve on quality but on my terms, not yours.

You mention the propagation of errors.. How would that work. You indicate
that there are not enough people to fix all the issues. With bots like
Kian, we have probability in adding data. We have people add data where the
software is not certain.  You doubt technology but you do not know where we
are, what is already done.

In short my feeling is that you do not know what you are talking about.
There is real scholarship in the approach that I described, My take is in
applying set theory. Kian is AI. For all I care yours is FUD.

Your notion of accountability is one of a consumer, it is not the
accountability needed for a project that is immature and is not at all at a
stage where you should imply that it is good enough and that quality is
assured. There are domains in Wikidata that I will not touch because in my
opinion it is wrong in its principles. At the same time I know that it can
be fixed in time and leave it at that,

I disagree with Heather Ford and Mark Graham. As long as Wikidata does not
have the power of a Reasonator, the data is just that. It does not make
itself in information and consequently it is awful. When there is one thing
the Wikidata engineers do not do, it is considering the use of the data and
the workflows to improve the data and the quality.

The data needs to be CC-0 because it is how we ensure that everybody will
be happy and willing to participate. As more participation happens as more
collaboration occurs we will see Wikidata increase in the amount of data
that it holds and at the same time we will see quality improve.

Yes, Wikidata could do more in the way of adding sources to data. As long
as the "primary sources tool" does not add the sources it knows, what do
you expect from anybody else.
Thanks,
     GerardM

[1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/stats.php?reverse