Another reason for doing this, is to cover people who are actually looking
for the official blog (please note that many volunteers also write at
blog.wikimedia.org), but who simply confuse wikimedia and wikipedia - not
entirely uncommon. blog.wikimedia.org is the closest this there is for the
official wikipedia-blog and until there is a separate, official, wikipedia
blog, i would be in favor for redirecting this url.

I don't see how this would go at the expense of other blogs. indeed many
cross-project pages such as meta.wikipedia.org redirect to the right page,
because it is clear what people were aiming for when they typed the url.

Best,
Lodewijk