Hoi,
A much more fundamental question is do we actually want to do less or do we
want to do more. I am not of the opinion that the WMF is bloated and
ineffective. Yes it could do better in places but there is so much that we
could do and fail to do because of lack of funding.

No we should not go bare bones. Arguably the whole notion of an endowment
fund is a bad idea because it gets people to think in terms of spending
less not more.
Thanks,
      GerardM