Henning,

If we're going to solve the problem of dead links, it needs to involve
automation, at least for the heavy lifting. Obviously, if a human
contributor can add a better source, that's great. But there are more dead
links than people willing to replace them.

On English Wikipedia, there's Category:All articles with dead external
links, and it contains more than 134,000 articles[1] -- and those are just
the pages where somebody's added the Dead link template. There are a lot of
missing references -- not just on English WP, but on all the projects --
and connecting those links to a live archive makes them useful again.

For links that were moved, we may be able to collect and use that
information -- I know that we're looking into what kind of metadata we can
collect when a new link is added to the page. But I think finding
alternative sources has to come from human contributors, and that's hard to
scale.

Danny
PM, Community Tech

[1]: