On 2015-12-29, Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:
> From what I understand, the community elections don't directly elect/appoint
> WMF board members, but essentially provide a recommendation that the WMF
> board then approves. Have a look at the text of:
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_appointment_2015
>
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_appointment_2015>
> and the phrasing at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#Process
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#Process>
> specifically, "The candidates with the highest percentage of support will be
> recommended to the Board of Trustees for appointment."

The statute in 617.0803(3) stipulates that
> (3) Directors shall be elected or appointed in the manner and for the
> terms provided in the articles of incorporation or the bylaws.

The bylaws use a wording like "The board will approve [the community-selected
candidates]"
which lists specified conditions when the community choice can be approved,
and the board cannot refuse approval unless some specific conditions are met.

Section 3 of the bylaws has subsections (C) "Community-selected Trustees."
(D) "Trustees selected by Chapters and Thematic Organizations",
(E) "Board-appointed Trustees. " and (F) for Jimmy Wales, who
is also Board-appointed.

It is obvious that (C) and (D) do not belong to the category (E).
Therefore directors of category (C) and (D) are not appointed
by the board.

> So the "class" here would be the WMF board, not the community.

Bylaws, article III:

> The Foundation does not have members.

Statute 617.0601(1)(a) stipulates that

> A corporation may have one or more classes of members or may have no members.

but (1)(b) adds:

> (b) The articles of incorporation or bylaws of any corporation
> not for profit that maintains chapters or affiliates may grant
> representatives of such chapters or affiliates the right to vote
> in conjunction with the board of directors of the corporation
> notwithstanding applicable quorum or voting requirements of this
> chapter if the corporation is registered with the department pursuant
> to ss. 496.401-496.424, the Solicitation of Contributions Act.

This is what Section 3 of the WMF bylaws is doing - it grants
a right to vote to non-members of the Foundation (as there are none).

617.0808(1)(b) goes beyond classes of members, but includes
> (...) chapter, or other organizational unit, or by region or other
> geographic grouping, the director may be removed only by the members
> of that class, chapter, unit, or grouping.

so this read in conjunctin with 617.0601(1)(b) and bylaws section
three establishes a pretty clear picture to me.

Saper