I agree with Andy.

Well, if it is not a election pursuant to bylaws IV (3c) why it was always
announced as such [1]. So it was de-facto a election. Wasn't it?

(imho) It is Ethically it is not okay to remove a "elected" member whiteout
public discussion.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/Board_elections/2015