On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Guillaume Paumier <
guillaume.paum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Wikimedia_Foundation_Guiding_Principles
>
> * That resolution indicates that the guiding principles "may come to
> replace
> the previous list of values", but I couldn't find any confirmation that
> they did
> replace them.

I don't think they did.  They were drafted in such a way that one could
have constructed "principle blame" to see which values informed parts of
which principles, and a merge or more nuanced classification that covered
various layers of principles would make sense (ex: from abstract values to
specific principles to short-term implementation), but that did not happen.

> We're linking to the WMF's Values in a lot of prominent places, and they've
> also been brought up many times in recent strategy discussions. There
> seems to
> be an underlying assumption, in those discussions, that the Values are a
> document with the same origin and status as the Vision & Mission
> statements.

As a point of reference: there was a brainstorming sessions at the Board+ED
retreat in Nov 2014, about whether the (principles+values) were
unchangeable / had the status of the mission.  [conclusion at the time: no.]

The retreat was private, with lots of playing devil's advocate for each
value ["how does this aspect of this principle make it harder to realize
the mission?  what would happen if it were ignored?"].  But as I recall, we
imagined doing something similar in the public strategy discussion. In the
end, the public discussion in 2015 was delayed & simplified... But I hope
we do still have that discussion on Meta.

> As I mentioned, this isn't the most important topic of discussion right
> now.
> I'll still be grateful if someone can help me understand the backstories :)

Thanks for asking here :)
<%2B1%20617%20529%204266>
Sam