I do agree in general that generic '+1' emails contribute very little. If
you really want to thank someone, or welcome them, it probably makes a
better impression if you write a little more than that. Say a few lines to
introduce the list, give them a tip or offer them to show them around.

Personally, I prefer to send those mails offlist by the way - but I can
feel with people that with all the dramaspam (how important and justified
it sometimes may be/feel) you kinda feel a need to balance that out ;)

Lodewijk