Crikey, balance, spam, dont contribute, very little contribution, +1 pile
on (though we dont see many -1 pile ons).....

we are society/community that works because we collaborate we assume good
faith int he actions of others, we know that while we speak(email) in
english many of  us have different levels of understanding, hey even those
fluent in english dont necessarily understand what each other is saying.

Fae is right there could be a better ways to communicate we should explore
how to achieve that and we should keep going back to that very question
from time to time improve how we do things.

the most important point that is;
Its just good manners to welcome people, and to say thank you.

Consider the advice to send a message off list, would you really like to be
on the receiving end of a 100 thank you emails, or 100 welcome emails all
saying similar but possibly different things wow talk of creating  spam,
then that person would feel obliged to answer every one of them
individually. The beauty of the list is we all see and acknowledge an
appreciation of what someone has achieved or to welcome them to the group
and they only have to respond once or twice to the group.

When you distill it down all sharing an equal burden of the odd extra
email, is still a better way to support the communities growth than making
one individual accept a heavy burden so we dont have to see that practice
people exercising courtesy and good manners publicly

On 14 January 2016 at 15:13, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org> wrote:

> I do agree in general that generic '+1' emails contribute very little. If
> you really want to thank someone, or welcome them, it probably makes a
> better impression if you write a little more than that. Say a few lines to
> introduce the list, give them a tip or offer them to show them around.
>
> Personally, I prefer to send those mails offlist by the way - but I can
> feel with people that with all the dramaspam (how important and justified
> it sometimes may be/feel) you kinda feel a need to balance that out ;)
>
> Lodewijk
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:17 AM, Gergo Tisza <gti...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Chris Keating <
> chriskeatingw...@gmail.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > To me, "Hello" and "Thank you" are quite under-used words on this list
> > (in
> > > the movement generally but particularly here) so I would prefer we
> didn't
> > > rule these emails out.
> > >
> > > After all, if we remove pile-on positive threads that contain little
> > > information then pile-on negative threads with equally little
> information
> > > will probably still remain.
> >
> > +1
> > I would much rather filter outrage spam :-) There is more of it, and
> unlike
> > thanks, it tends to have a demoralizing effect.

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia