Charging Google for computing power is a Quixotic business model.

For comparison, Google's own approach to this same problem, when the N$A
wants to run so many ongoing searches that it would vaporize a little
section of the Columbia River, is to lease a search appliance cluster to
the agencies in question.[1]

We could easily take the same approach, providing a near-realtime feed of
dumps and a basic appliance which can render pages and provide API
endpoints.  If the reduced bandwidth needs and better control over the
process isn't enough to incentivize our biggest customers, we could give
them extra encouragement by throttling direct access to our services.

Breaking even would be a nice target either way, it seems like any
"monetization" of access is at best just a charitable subsidy in disguise,
and not a long-term win.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search_Appliance

https://support.google.com/earthenterprise/?hl=en#topic=2802998

Speculation on why GEE was recently deprecated, lessons we might learn:
http://geospatialworld.net/Professional/ViewBlog.aspx?id=415

Adam Wight

mw:user:adamw