On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Luis. I am trying to wrap my mind around the strategy process and
> how it interfaces with the many moving pieces in the Wikimedia universe.

As are we all. I know we've talked about putting some of the timeline
pieces together in a FAQ, but honestly not sure if that has happened yet.

> A comment that I've heard from staff is that strategies and priorities seem
> to shift frequently. This results in confusion and lack of clarity. Once
> there is a coherent strategy that emerges from this process, will it remain
> set for the next 12-24 months? (Even 12 months seems rather short. Perhaps
> we could be looking at longer-term horizons and higher aspirations, with
> clearly defined intermediate SMART goals.)

I've had those concerns myself :) There's a real tension between being
nimble and reactive (which we need to be) and having ability to do
longer-term planning. We've been talking about this as an 18-24 month
strategy; but inevitably that will be different for different parts of the
org - some parts of product may find it outdated almost as soon as we
publish it (based on the earliest experiments they run as a result of it),
while some parts of the community strategy could conceivably last 3-4 years
(given the inevitably longer time scales for social/cultural work).

Sorry that's not more firm/specific, but inevitably some flexibility is
required here.

Luis