Hi,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> So yes, we need to talk but the talk does not happen in one place. When you
> insist on one place, the confrontation is already in place.

The solution is not to move all the communication to Phabricator, that is
for sure. The solution cannot be to have WMF employees watching every
channel for feedback either.

There are two important aspects to consider:

1. "The talk" is useful when the relevant information reaches the
development team and influences their work.

Talks may happen in many places as long as there is a bridge connecting
them to the development team. Teams can listen a bit, with the help of
Community Liaisons (WMF) they can hear a bit more, but that support is also
limited. Volunteer Tech Ambassadors can provide more bridges to more
conversation, but we (all of us) still need to consolidate and promote this
key role.

2. The medium is the message

"The talk" is useful as long as it helps getting things done. Mailing lists
and wiki discussion pages are designed to discuss. Project management tools
are designed to get things done. No matter how smart and constructive the
talk is (like in this thread), all those moments will be lost in time, like
tears...in...rain.
However, when the relevant bits are converted into Phabricator tasks
populating workboards and blocking goals... forgetting is still possible
but more complicated.

This is why thanks to you Gerard, I finally found the motivation to create
this task:

Communication channels between communities and teams involved in the
product development process
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124288

:)

--