On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Jens Best <best.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure where you get your impressions, Magnus. But when I discuss
> ideas for a better implementation of Wikidata into Wikipedia to improve
> automatisation of repetitive editing procedures, including the
> implementation of the possible use of structured data, I rarely hear "It Is
> Not Made Here" or "It's Bad Because Its New".
>
> When it comes to analyse the problems with Wikidata it isn't only about
> possible early-lifecycle issues(which can be fix), but about the blind spot
> when it comes to develope working social processes which keep everybody
> (especially the editors) in the picture.
>
> Community involvement (especially consultations) are often seem to be
> organized only out of necessity. They not in the middle of the
> decision-making process. Nobody said that doing things the way they are
> done in a crowdsourced, community-driven process are easy, but this is no
> excuse for any Foundation or other similiar entity to set up an
> intransparent, precendents creating process where community becomes
> accessories.

I have spent a huge part of my waking hours over the past 4 years
making sure that community always comes first in Wikidata. And I will
continue to do so. But that doesn't mean that everyone always gets
their way because that is simply impossible with the demands people
have for Wikidata. What I have been doing and will continue to do is
to engage with people on a rational and non-agitated level and hear
them out so we can find ways to make it happen or get a better
understanding of why something can't be done (yet). What we have
created through this is an amazingly friendly, hard working and
reasonable community on Wikidata that I am proud of every single day.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.