Why not insist that every piece of data added to wikidata is supported by a
reliable source?

That's a genuine question. I don't know the answer.

Saying, "Well, Wikipedia is unreliable, too" doesn't answer the question.

You're all bright people, and I assume there is a good reason not to insist
on reliable sourcing for all of Wikidata's claims. What is it, please?

Anthony Cole