From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Arnnon Geshuri
Sent: Tuesday, 26 January 2016 9:08 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Message from Arnnon Geshuri to the Wikimedia Community

It has been almost three weeks since my appointment to the Wikimedia Foundation
Board and I have read the feedback and comments from representative members of
the community.  My first reaction was how amazing the community is in its
vibrant culture – there is direct and honest dialog, celebration of diverse
ideas, debate and counterpoints, and an overall genuine passion to ensure that
the WMF sustains itself for another
fifteen years and beyond.   Witnessing firsthand the commitment and energy
of the community is truly inspirational.  Although I would have preferred the
tone surrounding my appointment to be more positive and supportive, I deeply
understand and respect the criticality of free expression, rallying around
convictions, and open disagreement.

Regarding the concerns that have been raised, I have listened closely.
That said, in my opinion, there are some misconceptions and there are
mitigating considerations.  As a general matter, I will say that, throughout my
career, I have been charged with enforcing company policies as part of my role
as a people manager. I have tried to do so thoughtfully and consistently.  I
have done so realizing company policies and practices evolve over time as
circumstances change.

As part of the current narrative, members of the community generated a running
theme within the online conversations related to trust.  Comments were
expressed questioning their trust in the Wikimedia Foundation Board and asking
if the community could accept me as a new Board Member.  Wanting to understand
the challenges ahead, I have spent the last few weeks speaking with current and
former Board members and reaching out to folks in the community.  I have more
conversations in the coming days and appreciate those who have been generous
with their time.  Given the story line that has been shaped over the last
couple weeks and based on the feedback from my conversations, I know I have a
longer journey than most new Board members to prove to the community and WMF
alumni that they can put their trust in me.  I joined to make a positive
difference and be a part of the important effort to grow the WMF for the next
generation of editors, contributors, and users.
As the community gets to know me, folks will see the way I work is with
thoughtfulness, transparency, diversity, and a focus on doing what is right.  I
have key experiences in both my professional and non-profit careers which lend
a distinctive perspective to the honorable work of a Trustee – especially the
learnings gained over the last decade.  I passionately believe in the core
values of the WMF and trust that the community and even the most energetic
community members come from a place of good intent.  And as we all become
closer and transition to debating the issues and not the people, the community
will see I consistently speak from the heart, I am passionately committed to
the movement with the best intent, and I am working hard to earn your trust.

Regards,
Arnnon