I am happy to see María returning to the Board, though I wish it took place
under happier circumstances.  I have confidence in her wisdom and her ability
to help steer us out of this mess, though I certainly hope that she’ll be able
to commit to whatever it is that James was fighting for while he was on the
Board. ¡Felicidades! :)

That said, I do want to point out something that Salvador said in his e-mail:

> The diversity inside the Board gets many benefits with this appointment.

I have significant problems with this statement.  While I appreciate the fact
that María represents two of our underrepresented communities (women, sexual
minorities), I am doubtful that her return to the Board will suddenly lead to
"more diversity", especially when it comes to our communities in the developing
world.  We’ve been fighting for more geographic diversity on the Board and in
the movement at large with very limited success as it is, so yet another
developed world trustee does no favors for us even if I have lots of praise for
María otherwise.

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>