Volunteer and unpaid are not the same thing. There is overlap, but not
congruency.
Cheers,

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Thyge
Sent: Monday, 08 February 2016 12:17 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] "9 annoying nonprofit trends that need to die"

> A marketing slogan that I'd like WMF to banish is that Wikipedia is
> 100% written by volunteers. That's simply false.

I find that point of view entirely wrong. The WMF does not pay anybody to edit,
so editors are volunteers. I might follow the same line of reasoning and say,
that Wikipedia is not neutral, because people are allowed to write about their
own country/city etc.

Contributors make a living from other sources. Anybody could have some
affiliation other than getting paid and total neutrality is hard to come by.