It absolutely makes sense to have a named week/end each year where everyone
tries to get together.

I don't know if it needs to have a primary physical venue, certainly there
are already thousands of people who are only able to participate online,
and find ways to do so, including a few satellite events.  There are also
definitely ways to have a global gathering and concordance of efforts that
don't have a primary venue - OpenCon this year did quite a fine job of
that.

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266