On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM, SarahSV <sarahsv.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dariuz, when I first heard about this, I understood it to mean that the
> Foundation was seeking to fix the Wikimedia search function, which is
> really very poor. But this seems to be a proposal to create an entirely new
> search engine to complement Google, which will cost many millions.

My understanding is essentially that we want to engage in a search engine
that would encompass all Wikimedia projects. I can't imagine us effectively
competing Google and I would not consider this to be a sensible direction
(not because it is not tempting, but because it is too costly and risky).

dj