Dariusz, thanks for continuing to engage here. Besides the good questions
that others have asked, I'll add a few:

1. If the Knowledge Engine is such an important project, why is it not
mentioned in
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2015-16?

2. I realize that as a percentage of the WMF budget, $250k is a relatively
small number. As others have said, this is not a reason for opacity about
it, nor a reason for not having a conversation with the community about
something so strategically important as a decision to explore the question
of "Would users go to Wikipedia if it were an open channel beyond an
encyclopedia?" It's one thing to have a blue-sky exercise thinking about
possibilities, and another thing to take a $250k step in that direction,
especially without consulting the community.

3. I am getting tired about seeing bad news in general about WMF
governance, planning, and turnover. I am curious how you plan to address
those issues. Like you, I would rather that we be talking about our
movement plans for the next 10 years. However, it's difficult to have those
conversations when WMF is making so many self-inflicted wounds. The recent
round of resignations is of respectable people from the WMF staff is making
the situation that much more concerning and that much more difficult to
recover from. It seems to me that WMF leadership has lost control of this
situation, and I'd like to hear what the recovery plan is. Personally, I
feel that we need leadership that can build good relationships with the
staff and community, is transparent by default, and is capable of restoring
the credibility of the organization's planning, execution, and goodwill. I
think that we may need new leadership to make that happen. I am interested
to hear your thoughts.

Pine