There pure costs shouldn't be the main or only argument. What does the
movement pay, for what? How are the goals of the movement served by
Wikimania or other conventions? The better we understand that the
better our conventions are.
For example, for the programme of the Wikimedia Conference Netherlands
I looked at the strategy and annual plan of the association. It gives
you a good feeling to see that our conference was already in line with
that. :-)
Kind regards
Ziko