Hi all,

As always, we are happy to see the conversations about the publishing and
research industry within the Wikimedia community. We very much believe that
our readers, and other researchers, should, whenever possible, have open,
or at least toll-free, access to materials when possible.  We share the
open-access communities values, and I highly recommend exploring the two
links shared by Keegan [1] and Pete[2], to better understand our position.

As a matter of transparency: we have provided access to nearly 80 accounts
so far via our Elsevier partnership; we have also distributed access to
over 500 accounts via JSTOR.

These partnerships have been ones which we continue to value and cultivate,
because they are high-demand resources from large percentages of our
volunteer community-- not because of a moral judgement about their business
practices. If there were an overwhelming consensus among our patrons
(editors who have access to those resources), to return their access in
boycott (or to not use it), I can understand and would support that
volunteer effort: after all our community is values-based. However, as long
as we continue to get access requests: building the encyclopedia and our
other free knowledge projects is our first priority, because it unlocks at
least some of the locked content in these databases as summaries in our
projects.

However, we also recognize that these partnerships give us more than just
access, its also gives us opportunities to influence the publishing
industry from the inside. For example, both JSTOR and Elsevier are going to
be part of research into how our https change last June created dark
traffic for research databases, and this work will be giving us access to
referral data that is quite hard to get from anyone in the publishing
industry [3]. With this data from industry leaders, we will better be able
to influence open access, and make arguments for our editors and library
allies to use Wikimedia projects to promote open materials.

As for supporting Sci-Hub: that is an interesting concept from TWL's
perspective of providing access to research for our community. We would be
happy to support community consensus on how to use the tool in our research
processes. Thus far, we have tried to cooperate with established
institutions that work within the existing system to help create long-term
stable versions of academic resources, like partnering closely with
libraries, advocacy and industry groups like CrossRef and SPARC, and
supporting development of tools to create Wikimedia use metrics for the
open-access community (more on this hopefully coming in the next few
months). Sci-hub is a great short term tool for creating pressure for
change in this industry, but the publishing community also needs to figure
out the best long term solutions for creating and persistently accessing
academic work.[4]

As for legal support, that is not within the mission of The Wikipedia
Library, and in my personal opinion, this probably should be pursued
through direct engagement with aligned organizations whose mission is to
promote these efforts: like OKF and SPARC.

Cheers,

Alex Stinson
Project Manager
The Wikipedia Library

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/09/16/open-access-in-a-closed-world/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-cF7433aT4
[3]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikimedia_referrer_policy
[4] Open access does not solve all the problems of academic publishing. For
example, academic monographs in the humanities and social sciences, for
instance, do cost university presses over 20,000 USD to publish and
maintain persistently available, this amount of money is not readily
available in non-scientific fields. Open access communities still haven't
fully figured out how to solve this problem, when they are crucial to the
output of those academics:
http://www.arl.org/storage/documents/forum15-walters-emerging-models-humanities-publishing.pdf
. Moreover, in my last job, I worked with a William Blake scholar who
worked on a free to use Digital humanities project, but who thought Open
access journals undermined his copyright and the prestige of his
publications in tenure applications. We are still a long way off from
making Open Access, as a long-term solution for academic publishing.