During the WLE an WLM 2015 we created and published some paid campaigns inside
Facebook to reach more people and bring people from Facebook to our contest's
pages inside Wikipedia.

IMHO that it's a good approach, but add a direct link inside wikipedia to
commercial sites/social networks are not a good idea, mainly thinking about
privacy, net neutrality and compatibility with our movement mission. In that
way we are redirecting people from Wikipedia to external sites.

The other problem is, don't matter if we have 5.000 or 1.000.000 of likes in a
Facebook page, to reach that public we always have to pay Facebook ads to
increase reach.

The Facebook is always cutting post's reach to stimulate publishers to pay more
money to reach more people.

Basically we reach more people and get more views and clicks adding USD$10,00
to a Facebook post than having a page with 100.000 likes.

Including, offer an option to promote paid ads only to people that liked your
page and their friends.

So, it's getting hard to grow on Facebook in a organic way, don't matter how
many likes or friends do you have.

Rodrigo Padula
Coordenador de Projetos
Grupo Wikimedia Brasileiro de Educação e Pesquisa
http://www.wikimedia.org.br
21 99326-0558

---- Em Sex, 19 Fev 2016 09:07:16 -0200 Asaf
Bartov<abar...@wikimedia.org> escreveu ----

The Macedonian community has also had success attracting attention to their
social media channels via Facebook etc. links on sitenotice for a while. I
believe they reached a staggering number of likes (~35000 was it?), from
next to nothing. Those social media channels seem to have been used to
considerable effect in drawing attention and attracting contributors to
events like WLM.

This was discussed at the Wikimedia Central and Eastern European Meeting
2014. Notes from that session are still on Etherpad[1].

CCing Bojan for potential additional details.

 A.

[1] https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/ceem14-pr

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polime...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Nikola - but does it bring any added value to Wikipedia? Does number of
> active editors in Bulgarian Wikipedia increased because of it? Can you see
> it in Wikipedia statics? IMHO it is the only thing which might legitimate
> such an action.
>

> Ten e-mail został wysłany z komputera wolnego od wirusów chronionego przez
> Avast.
> <#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

> > Hello Rodrigo,
> >
> > on Bulgarian Wikipedia we put a text asking readers to like our
Facebook

https://bg.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%D0%9C%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%8F%D0%A3%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8:Sitenotice&oldid=7097975

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Esplanada/propostas/Inserir_p%C3%A1gina_da_Wikip%C3%A9dia_em_portugu%C3%AAs_do_Facebook_no_sitenotice_%2825nov2015%29

> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > Rodrigo Padula
> > > Coordenador de Projetos
> > > Grupo Wikimedia Brasileiro de Educação e Pesquisa
> > > http://www.wikimedia.org.br
> > > +55 21 99326-0558

> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek