+1 for "saying 'technical parts of Wikipedia sucks' is as the same as
'Wikipedia sucks' ".
+1 for "the biggest problem is the user interface design of Wikipedia" and
your Winter-related thoughts (I may be also wrong).

Thanks for all the message.

On 20 February 2016 at 03:02, Amir Ladsgroup <ladsgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Milos,
> You talked about things that I'm in no place to comment but I want to
> emphasize on this part of your email:
> "For the last 8 years, just two things have been working without
> problems in WMF: Money and tech infrastructure (servers, "plain"
> MediaWiki, optimizations etc.)."
> We hear about technical issues of Wikipedia a lot. We hear Wikipedia is
> behind in technology, that it's underperforming. etc. etc. It's not just
> you. It's a lot of people in the community of editors too. I highly doubt
> that I can comment on this matter, there are definitely better people but I
> can't keep it anymore. Maybe my perspective as a non-WMF employee who works
> in technical issues would be worth publishing.
>
> The process of getting something technical done is as the same as editing
> in wiki. It needs a certain amount of expertise like editing most of the
> articles as well. Anyone can make a patch for every part of Wikipedia and
> after some code review. it's there. IMO saying "technical parts of
> Wikipedia sucks" is as the same as "Wikipedia sucks". Technical space of
> Wikimedia is filled with volunteers. I saw unimaginable times that people
> work over the weekend, take a day off and then work again because unlike
> most companies people care about their job in a good way. Helping in
> technical issues just need passion and caring. Let me tell you a story. I
> didn't know how to write a line of code in my first three years of editing
> Wikipedia. I was just a teenage boy who was making articles about movies he
> watched, songs he liked, etc. and then I cared about Wikipedia so much that
> I wanted to help more and I heard about cool things called robots (and
> believe me, for a very long time I thought bots are physical things that
> edit Wikipedia) so I tried to read about it, there was virtually no help in
> Persian and my English was so bad that I needed dictionary for everything I
> read (google translate was a sci-fi idea back then) but I learned and
> learned and I'm still learning just to make Wikipedia a better place, I
> hate programming as a goal, it's just a mean.
>
> I just want to remind you people done a hell out of job in technical
> aspects. It wasn't just in their working time. It was also a huge volunteer
> time too, either by staff or non-WMF employees. Feeling this advantages is
> not hard. Just take a look at Google's Knol. It was done by *the* Google
> and it's this. We, as a movement, are competing with companies like Google,
> Facebook or twitter the same way we are competing with Britannica.
> Honestly, I think if someone just published a statement saying "There is a
> cool project called Knowledge Engine but we don't have money for it, We can
> just give you a space to put your source code and test it, and running it."
> We would be knocking over google by 2020, as what we did with Britannica.
>
> I think, maybe I'm wrong please correct me if I am, the biggest problem is
> [...]

*Szymon Grabarczuk*

Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU
Head of Research & Development Group, Wikimedia Polska
pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_Lócesilion
<http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_L%C3%B3cesilion>