Hi,

First of all thank you Lila for making such a clear statement on how you
see the movement. I would like to go to the basics.

I do agree with your vision of what we did 15 years ago and could agree
about the changing environment and that we need to constantly rethink
ourselves in this hyper-innovation era. I also believe that we
have a huge opportunity to accelerate human understanding, but I'm not sure
if I agree with your proposal of solution.

You say let’s begin with technology and I would say let's begin with the
people.

Our mission <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>doesn't talk about
tech. Tech is the tool to reach a goal. The tool is very very important,
but not the most.


I've always seen the WMF staff, BoT and ED as the "*concierge*" of the
Wikimedia projects. They have the "house keys", but they don't own it. We
need WMF-staff, BoT and ED to keep everything working, safe and clean, and
make, finnaly to make "community inner life easier", and most of the times
it happens. But lasts weeks life in the wikiverse is becoming weird (just
the common areas, projects are still ok).

I ask some of the concierges to put some order again in the neighborhood,
please. I need a lot of time and tranquility to keep wikiprojects ongoing,
editing Wikipedia takes a lot of time. ;)


Best





2016-02-22 15:13 GMT+01:00 Liam Wyatt <liamwy...@gmail.com>:

> On Monday, 22 February 2016, Faidon Liambotis <fai...@wikimedia.org
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','fai...@wikimedia.org');>> wrote:
> >
> > What you did instead was to sent a community-wide email making it sound
> > like this was a carefully executed plan and the only reason people are
> > revolting is because they're either change-averse or bitter for not
> > getting a promotion. This is downright insulting.
>
>
> It also slides over the fact that the people who have been leaving recently
> are people who had been hired or promoted during Lila's tenure. This is
> quite different from people leaving within the first months of a new
> director's arrival.
>
> The tricky thing is that the staff have been trying their best - because
> they are professionals - to keep internal "office problems" hidden from
> public view. They have not been advertising their frustrations on-wiki but
> trying to express their concerns through private and official procedures.
> This means that now we are at a stage where staff are OPENLY criticising
> the leadership that can appear to the wider wikiverse like the first sign
> of a problem and that they are being petty. But it is actually the end of a
> long road, not the beginning.
>
> Suffice to say - in an organisation where the staff are well know for their
> commitment to the values of the movement, to be complaining publicly (and
> not just one or two new people, all the senior people too - see the report
> of the staff survey in The Signpost) means that this is not an
> insignificant problem or concern only held by some troublemakers.
>
>
> > Finally, with all of your references to "community", it also sounds to
> > me like like you're trying to gain some support from our community and
> > effectively stategically place the (almost unanimously) revolting staff
> > at odds with our community, in the hopes that you can get supporters and
> > salvage your position. This would be a pretty desperate and selfish
> > move. I hope I'm wrong.
> >
>
> I too get the sense that this email as trying to claim a sense of
> martyrdom. Of pointing to the staff and and saying that "they" are
> unwilling to embrace change - particularly with regards to being a "high
> tech organisation". This might be a more believable argument if it was not
> for the tech department have been the most vocal in criticism. I don't
> think anyone was implacably opposed to improvements in the way tech should
> be managed - the smoothness of new rollouts and speed of development of new
> products was famously poor. But that's quite different from the
> silicon-valley mindset of paranoia about marketshare and product-secrecy.
>
> As several people have said to me in the last week (referencing
> an American-political aphorism) "it's not the crime, it's the coverup".
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>



-- 
--
Àlex Hinojo / Kippelboy
Programme Manager / Director de projectes
Amical Wikimedia
www.wikimedia.cat
@kippelboy / @Kippelboy_cat / @AmicalWikimedia
------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to