Facebook has many disadvantages as a communication tool. The only reason to
use it just because more and more people adapt to it.

The main disadvantage is the lack of good archiving - it is pretty hard to
find something on fb after say - half a year. The other issue is the
distraction which facebook is causing. You first enter fb just to join a
given discussion but then you are flooded by many adds, communications from
other parts of fb, pokes from your friends (that someone has birthday or
change the job or want to invite you to evening  concerto etc..)  and
finally you usually spend 3-4 time more on fb than you wanted. And - for
example - due to this - have no more time to edit Wikipedia :-( Some people
are more resitant to distraction some less - but fb affects everyone who go
there and eat your time, which is the most precious asset of our volunteers.

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/