I think it is an important conversation to have. I am a bit skeptical about
creating a parliament-like body, and I am a bit worried that it would
advance the disengagement of the board from the community.

I am working on a proposal for some reform (in short: I want to increase
the number of community/chapter seats, increase the level of professional
expertise, increase diversity, and all that without changing the overall
number of seats ;), but I need time to present it in a coherent way. I hope
to do so in March, but of course this dialogue will hopefully bring results
meanwhile, too.

dj

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Thyge <ltl.pri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lane Rasberry,
>
> I'm aware of the ongoing election - but in all respect, that has nothing to
> do with a house of representavtives as I envision it, i.e. being "above"
> the board.
>
> The present structure allows the existing board to decline access to the
> persons being elected.
>
> Regards,
> Thyge

> > Hello,
> >
> > Could I remind you all that there is a board election in progress right
> now
> > for 2 of the 10 seats? Please see details for the 2016 Affiliate-selected
> > board seats election at
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016>
> >
> > Amir, you said that you wanted representation from "India, China, Russia,
> > Iran, Brazil, Korea, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Arab countries and
> > finally, all of Africa". If you like, you may encourage anyone from those
> > countries to seek a nomination. Also, it would be very helpful if you
> could
> > encourage the Wikimedia chapters in those countries to participate in the
> > election in any way that they could, especially by planning to vote
> during
> > the upcoming voting period.
> >
> > Thyge - we do have a sort of house of representatives and it has a board
> > election happening right now.
> >
> > Nominations for the board are open till March 8! Election starts March
> 24!
> > Please share the message.
> >
> > Thanks - if anyone has questions post on the election page.
> >
> > yours,
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <pute...@mccme.ru>
> > wrote:

> > "house
> > charged
> > WMF,

> > > I do not think it could solve the diversity issue.
> > >
> > > To appoint the number of individuals with a set of skills and needed
> > > diversity, one needs candidates which will have needed skills and
> desired
> > > diversity to start with.
> > >
> > > Our experience as a movement (and also of people in other organizations
> > in
> > > different contexts) that these people do not always queue at the doors
> of
> > > the WMF office to wait for being elected. They need to be scouted,
> > > negotiated with, and convinced to be willing to sit at the board. This
> is
> > > what currently various companies are paid to do, and this seems to be a
> > > reasonable arrangement to me.
> > >
> > > As far as the candidates are there, I do not see much of a difference
> > > whether the community, a selected group (like house of
> representatives),
> > or
> > > the Board votes for them. And as soon as there is no difference there
> is
> [...]

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i grupy badawczej NeRDS
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://n <http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl/>wrds.kozminski.edu.pl

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard: