On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (1) The most compelling arguments in favour of having appointees as voting
> board members (as opposed to having them as advisory board members),

I'm not sure what you're asking. I think that both external experts and the
community-elected and chapter-appointed Board members should be voting
members, if they are to be on the board. If you're asking whether it is
useful to have external appointees on the Board at all, I think the answer
is quite obvious - we need the level of engagement and expertise, that will
not be available if we ask them to be on the advisory board, and I don't
think it is likely it would be if they were to no non-decisive board
members. Proportions between solely board-appointed and community-nominated
people is a different story.

> (2) If you are comfortable doing so, the most important risks or downsides
> attached to the present arrangement?

well, there are several, just from the top of my head: community/chapter
elected members do not always have any prior experience of working on an
NGO board or in any similar body; the current system disfavors diversity,
externally-appointed experts have trouble understanding open collaboration
organizations in general, and Wikipedia ecosystem in particular... I could
go on, but at the time I can't really sit down to it methodically.

> I am glad to hear you are working on a proposal to increase the number of
> community/chapter seats on the board (though I personally tend to think
> that at 2 vs. 3, the chapters are already slightly over-represented,
> compared to the general community).

Sadly, humans count in full numbers only, so it could be either 1 or 2 in
the current system, and 1 is not that many neither :)