Brion,

there was a very constructive, heartfelt session on models of bottom-up
open innovation at this year's WMF All Hands. You can find extensive notes
from this session on the Office Wiki ("Embracing skunkworks") which I
encourage you to read and that I'd love to share publicly in a more
readable format at some point.

There are obvious tradeoffs between allowing more flexibility on the one
hand and making sure we have a reasonable budget plan, accountability to
donors and stakeholders and appropriate resource allocation on the other
hand, but I believe this model would work much better than the current one,
at least for projects that are not core initiatives.

Skunkworks is what got us revision scoring, EventLogging, countless
initiatives by TechOps and innovative MediaWiki extensions.

Dario

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <yastrak...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Does it make sense to have an "Incubator team" ("Bell Labs" if you will),
> whose core competency is to nurture small projects? When projects are
> mature and need to switch into maintenance mode, they move under the
> umbrella of a different team.
>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 23, 2016 5:52 PM, "Dan Andreescu" <dandree...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > but also, some projects that were not so useful, sure.  But we learn,
> > move
> > > on, we're not the first group of people to make mistakes : )
> >
> > Yep... High-tech organizations call it "failing fast".
> >
> > -- Brion

*Dario Taraborelli  *Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
<http://twitter.com/readermeter>