On Feb 23, 2016 7:01 PM, "Dario Taraborelli" <dtarabore...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Brion,
>
> there was a very constructive, heartfelt session on models of bottom-up
> open innovation at this year's WMF All Hands. You can find extensive notes
> from this session on the Office Wiki ("Embracing skunkworks") which I
> encourage you to read and that I'd love to share publicly in a more
> readable format at some point.

Awesome, I'll check it out and read up on the prior art. :) Looking forward
to further discussion on these ideas once we have a chance to clean it up.

> There are obvious tradeoffs between allowing more flexibility on the one
> hand and making sure we have a reasonable budget plan, accountability to
> donors and stakeholders and appropriate resource allocation on the other
> hand, but I believe this model would work much better than the current
one,
> at least for projects that are not core initiatives.

*nod* I like the idea of an internal small grants-like system to provide
some documentation, a little oversight, and help coordinate needed
additional people/equipment/contracting budget on small projects with a
shorter turnaround time than waiting for next year's annual budget.

-- brion