Lane, it’s one thing to have nominees.  It’s another to win the election.
Global South candidates obviously didn’t win the community-selected seat
selection, so I’d approach with some skepticism the possibility that we’ll
suddenly have a Board member from those regions of the world as a result of the
ASBS process.

That said, it’s early.  Maybe things will change this time around.  But if this
process didn’t lead to an ASBS member from the regions of the world Amir talked
about in his e-mail, then what will?

Josh

> Wiadomość napisana przez Lane Rasberry <l...@bluerasberry.com> w dniu
> 23.02.2016, o godz. 23:05:
>
> Hello,
>
> Could I remind you all that there is a board election in progress right now
> for 2 of the 10 seats? Please see details for the 2016 Affiliate-selected
> board seats election at
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016>
>
> Amir, you said that you wanted representation from "India, China, Russia,
> Iran, Brazil, Korea, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Arab countries and
> finally, all of Africa". If you like, you may encourage anyone from those
> countries to seek a nomination. Also, it would be very helpful if you could
> encourage the Wikimedia chapters in those countries to participate in the
> election in any way that they could, especially by planning to vote during
> the upcoming voting period.
>
> Thyge - we do have a sort of house of representatives and it has a board
> election happening right now.
>
> Nominations for the board are open till March 8! Election starts March 24!
> Please share the message.
>
> Thanks - if anyone has questions post on the election page.
>
> yours,
>

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <pute...@mccme.ru>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-02-23 14:54, Thyge wrote:
>>
>>> We should not have direct elections to the board. We should have a "house
>>> of representatives" with X members from each part of the world and charged
>>> with electing the board and decide major issues like location of the WMF,
>>> changed of bylaws etc.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Thyge
>>>

>> I do not think it could solve the diversity issue.
>>
>> To appoint the number of individuals with a set of skills and needed
>> diversity, one needs candidates which will have needed skills and desired
>> diversity to start with.
>>
>> Our experience as a movement (and also of people in other organizations in
>> different contexts) that these people do not always queue at the doors of
>> the WMF office to wait for being elected. They need to be scouted,
>> negotiated with, and convinced to be willing to sit at the board. This is
>> what currently various companies are paid to do, and this seems to be a
>> reasonable arrangement to me.
>>
>> As far as the candidates are there, I do not see much of a difference
>> whether the community, a selected group (like house of representatives), or
>> the Board votes for them. And as soon as there is no difference there is
>> also no need to make the structure more complicated. I thus conclude that
>> this House of representatives is not needed for the Board elections.
>>
>> (It might be needed for other things, which are outside the scope of this
>> discussion).
>>

>> Cheers
>> Yaroslav

> Lane Rasberry
> [...]

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (977) 831-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>