I think that sounds like a good idea. Some extra, temporary support would
be useful. But I worry about how reporting lines could lead to duplicative
efforts and a lack of coherence.

If we get the right humans in human resources and then we also have someone
reporting to the ED...

As an employee, which person am I supposed to go to? Is this a matter of
personal preference or some structurally privileged channel? Are they
coordinating with each other? Might they both be working on similar issues
and not know it?...

Might all of this lead to employees losing confidence that the right hand
knows what the left hand is doing? Might an unintended consequence be a
further drop in trust?

From my vantage point, which is far from complete, it would be better to
bring extra support to HR at this time of need. Get that group of people
together, allow them a bit of space to clarify and explain their
philosophical stance toward employees (expectations are important!), and
let them fix this problem.

That's my take. What do you think about that? Do you see it differently? Am
I missing something?

Warmly,
/a

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.w...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Anna Stillwell
> <astillw...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > Before adding another layer of process and reporting and complexity
> > structurally, we should more likely try to renew the heart of HR and
> allow
> > them to work with Legal in partnership as they had done so well
> throughout
> > our entire history.
>
> Fair, and I certainly appreciate this. To be clear my idea is only for
> a temporary position -- only a few months at most, really -- and could
> certainly happen concurrently with such a build-out of HR.
>
> Phoebe

Anna Stillwell
Major Gifts Officer
Wikimedia Foundation