On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Richard Symonds
<richard.symo...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> So...
>
> BrewDog, a Scotland-based "hipster brewery" - for want of a better phrase -
> have just "open-sourced" their entire recipe collection.
>
> You can read more at https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/diy-dog.
>
> It's not entirely clear what "licence" they're using but they say:
>
> "copy them, tear them to pieces, bastardise them, adapt them, but most of
> all, enjoy them. They are well travelled but with plenty of miles still left
> on the clock. Just remember to share your brews, and share your results.
> Sharing is caring."

Ask them to clarify their license...?  The PDF would be a great
addition to Wikimedia Commons, if possible.  However the inclusion of
packaging diagrams in their PDF's recipes is likely to mean they dont
want to release this PDF under generous terms, but instead this is a
marketing gimmick only.  If we can only get it without those packaging
diagrams, that would still be good.

> I guess "free as in beer" has a slightly different meaning now!

no, no this is not some magic moment of enlightenment.

similar sharing of beer recipes has occurred as long as beer has existed.

Even properly licensed shared beer brew recipes have been around for a
*very* long time.

Even the US Whitehouse got in on the action

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wh_beer_recipe_both-o.svg

There are even companies that share their beer trademark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Beer

--
John Vandenberg