Hello,

I cannot say much about the specific case, but in general: in small
countries it is not unusual that there is only one national
encyclopedia, and that it is directly or indirectly published or
supported by the government or an institution close to the government.

A good example is the Store Norske from Norway.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/buecher/2.1719/kein-geld-fuer-lexika-wer-rettet-das-grosse-norwegische-1639090.html

So it is not necessary to think immediately and exclusively about the
Soviet Union.

Kind regards
Ziko