Speaking in general terms, I like the idea of requiring early and public
disclosures of conflicts of interests that seem reasonably likely.

Also speaking in general terms, I'm aware of a number of Wikimedians in the
United States and Canada who are directly employed by government
organizations, and who seem to be good about managing their potential
conflicts of interest. It certainly seems to me that being a government
employee should, in general terms, be seen as no more or less a potential
conflict than being an employee of Google or any number of other
organizations that have complicated relationships with Wikimedia. Sometimes
the interests of these organizations are compatible with Wikimedia, and
sometimes they're not. In my experience most people who proactively
disclose their affiliations are good about managing them. I would worry
much more about someone who conceals a potentially troublesome association
than someone who proactively discloses their associations a manner that's
reasonable for someone who's in their particular role in the Wikimedia
movement.

Pine