Thank you, Patricio. And thank you, Katherine, for stepping up at this time
for us. I'm genuinely happy for this choice. It fills me with optimism for
all of us to move forward to a new phase.

Gracias y buena suerte!

On Thursday, March 10, 2016, Dario Taraborelli <dtarabore...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Thank you for stepping up, Katherine.
>
> Very glad about the choice and the rapid and transparent process that led
> to it, thanks to everyone involved.
>
> Dario
>
> On Mar 10, 2016, at 18:55, Patricio Lorente <patricio.lore...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','patricio.lore...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I’m happy to announce that the Wikimedia Foundation leadership team has
> proposed an interim Executive Director, and the Board has given our full
> support. Starting on March 14th, current Chief Communications Officer
> Katherine Maher (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF))
> will step into the role of interim Executive Director. We thank the
> C-levels for their careful consideration in this process, and Katherine for
> stepping up during this period of transition.
>
> In choosing an interim ED, the C-levels started by identifying immediate
> priorities for the coming months, including building trust, improving
> communications, and filling key leadership positions. They felt, and we
> agree, that Katherine is the right person to lead the organization while it
> addresses these and other important issues. Additionally, this will allow
> the rest of the executive team to focus on critical organizational
> functions, including community and engineering management, fundraising, and
> strengthening our human resources function. You can read more about our
> process and thinking here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning
>

> Katherine has been with the Foundation as Chief Communications Officer for
> about two years now. During that time, she has developed a versatile and
> effective team that serves the needs of the organization and movement,
> collaborating closely with other departments and the community. She has
> thoughtfully introduced new capacities and led her team through
> transitions, and played a critical role in shepherding the strategy process
> and the annual plan, in collaboration with other C-levels. She is known for
> listening to and empowering the people that she works with.
>
> For those who don’t know Katherine, she’s been a longtime advocate for
> global open communities, culture, and technology. She previously led
> advocacy for the international digital rights organization Access Now,
> where she worked on freedom of expression, access to information, and
> privacy. She has supported the efforts of citizens and governments around
> the world to deepen transparency and participation in her roles at the
> World Bank, National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, and
> UNICEF (where her team built wikis for youth participation in major global
> issues). She is a member of the advisory board of the Open Technology Fund.
>
> With interim leadership in place, our next step as the Board is to move
> [...]

Jorge Vargas
Regional Manager for Strategic Partnerships - Latam
Wikimedia Foundation
jvar...@wikimedia.org
+1 415.404.9536
+57 320.8011.750