Hello Yaroslav

Thanks for your reply.

My point is that there is no clear strategy or process for prioritizing
which pages get translated. So, perhaps it is easy for some people to be
mixed up.

But I'm pretty confident that I understand the issues, and I'm not getting
anything mixed up. :-)

Looking at the upcoming election's pages on Meta, I see that many of the
basic pages that describe the election are not translated into more than a
few languages and those are not up to date.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats_election_FAQ#What_is_the_chapters_wiki.3F

Additionally, I feel strongly that most everyone in the wikimedia movement
should have the opportunity to read the candidate statements and Q&A of the
future WMF Trustees. But right now we don't have anyway of making sure that
even the languages of voting Chapters or thematic organizations have a good
method to get it done in a timely way.

It is troubling to me that an Affiliated organization's Board needs to be
proficient in English to do the translation. Not to mention that the Board
members don't select the timing of this election and may have serious
limitations on their time that prevents doing the translation.

This dynamic in the wikimedia movement needs to change. It is exclusionary
and unwelcoming.

We can not reach the people that the wikimedia movement needs to reach if
the burden of translation of these important official WMF processes a
completely volunteer process.

Going forward, I would like to see the percentage of pages translated as a
metric that is tracked, reported, and discussed regularly.

Warm regards,
Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight