On 11 March 2016 at 16:09, Samuel Klein <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps you could do this w two queries, one to a composite index that is
> only updated weekly.

Indeed, there are mechanisms that can make cross-wiki searching more
feasible. In fact, one mechanism we are in the very early stages of
exploring is merging all the projects in a given language into a single
index, so that one could search *all* projects in a language, rather than
just a single project in a given language. I have no timeline here; as I
said, we're in the very early stages, and of course we have other work on
the go at the same time.

> > Additionally, it would likely return you a bunch of really irrelevant
> results,
>
> Make this opt-in, add a different background color for results from the
> all-language index, & divide their search-relevance by a
> language-prominence factor...

I plan to worry more about the user experience implications that I
mentioned once we're a bit closer to solving the technical feasibility
questions. As you've shown, these are definitely solvable problems, but I
don't want to put the cart before the horse, as it were. :-)

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Garry