some of the issue stems form the copyright laws of Angola, which are really
interesting to read -- read them in english --
https://www.copyright-watch.org/files/Angola.pdf  of course I dont expect
people to know their copyright laws in detail or to have read them but they
do know the principles of it and what they can do

some points of interest

   - Non protected works Article  9 section c -- news of the day published
   by the press or broadcast
   - Chapter IV Uses lawful without Authorisation article 29 section b -
   reproduction by photographic process or process analogous to photographic
   process by <snip> documentation centres <snip> or teaching organisations
   ..... refers to minimum amount of copies necessary, but wither way
   Wikipedia would fall into either of these definitions as permitted to
   reproduce
   - article 30 - is the key here it enables translation into Portuguese
   after 3 years without any real restrictions - hence why the pt.wikis are
   having so much of an issue and by extension commons where they encourage
   uploading of media

Wikipedia zero implementation needs to also consider the implication of
local laws especially copyright on the projects where the laws are this
outdated and effectively enable copyright issues then WP Zero could provide
a read only option for IP's or a no upload option,  with a rights request
process on commons

On 19 March 2016 at 00:45, Lucas Teles <telesw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> It is being recently reported on Portuguese Wikipedia and Commons (at
> least) the increasing ammount of improper editing coming from IP addresses
> located in Angola. Some users believe that this may be related with
> Wikipedia Zero and a partnership between WMF and a cellphone company [1]
> that allows reading and editing at free cost.
>
> One of the first reactions to that is a large range block that was just set
> on Commons in order to prevent these edits [2], as they are being done in a
> way that volunteers can't handle.
>
> That seems to be some kind of "second wave" as the first that hit Commons
> [3] had been already reported months ago [4] and seemed to be controled or
> just paused for a while. On Portuguese Wikipedia, one thing that seemss to
> be clear is that edits are done in good faith. However, they end by being
> undone as they are incorrect for some reason, whether being pages of files
> about themselves or just test edits. One of the users identified actually
> confirm [5] that he is editing through Wikipedia Zero.
>
> Concerning that more partnerships may occur in future, I think it is time
> for us to start talking about ways of dealing with that, other than
> blocking. Sadly, I don't have an answer to that problem, but I tend to
> believe that some way of mass reaching these potential users should be made
> out.
>
> The current process is that editors will be the ones to notice that (as I
> am not aware of any kind of follow up by WMF on that) and they will try to
> solve their way, which may cause too many collateral damage.
>
> I wonder if there is any kind of way to diminish the problem, by using any
> off-wiki strategy.
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Teles
>
> [1] -
>
> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/movicel-offers-free-access-to-wikipedia--1116012
> [2] -
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> [3] - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
> [4] -
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> [5] -
>
> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087
>

> *Lucas Teles*
>
> *+55 (71) 98290 7553Steward at Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator *
> *at Portuguese Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.*- wikipedista.com

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia