Hi all,

I'd like to add some thoughts to the discussion about the potential pros
and cons of spinning parts of the Wikimedia Foundation off. I’m writing
this in my personal capacity and this email might not represent the views
of the Wiki Education Foundation.

This is a comparably long note; the upshot is that in my opinion there are
more pros than cons.

== PRO ==

* Distributed risk: If one part of the new ecosystem fails, the rest should
still be healthy enough to survive. Today, if the WMF implodes, everybody
else will be affected in a big way. If we manage to successfully create a
number of separate organizations of what is today WMF, the risk will be
spread. Some parts will still be vital for the survival of others, though.
So, that has to be taken into account during the process of spinning off.

* Specialization of EDs: People who are experts in their field tend to
produce better results. During the last ED search, WMF struggled with
finding a “unicorn”. In order to run the WMF, you’ll have to be able to
deal with a high level of complexity, understand the community, be willing
to deal with public criticism, understand how to build an effective
engineering organization, etc. Splitting WMF into different organizations
would make subsequent ED searches easier as their expertise won’t have to
be as broad as under the current conditions.

* Better focus: Organizations with a narrower focus are likely to do
better. Wiki Ed is only one example. I’ll leave it with that because LiAnna
has explained this point already nicely.

* Shorter and more efficient decision making processes: The larger an
organization, the more it tends having more levels of hierarchy. This
affects decision making – smaller organizations can react more quickly and
more efficiently to changing conditions.

* Feeling of ownership leads to higher job satisfaction: This one is
closely related to my last point: people in a smaller organization tend to
feel a much higher level of ownership over the outcomes of their work. As a
result, they’re more motivated (which, in most cases, will lead to better
results).

* Stopping things that don’t work: Larger organizations tend to continue
projects although the outcomes of those projects are questionable. They can
simply afford it. Spinning off parts of the WMF would require the spin-offs
to justify their existence every single day. That seems to put a lot of
pressure on these spin-offs. However, the result would actually be good: if
an organization doesn’t continually deliver value to the ecosystem as a
whole, it will disappear. That’s better than a continued investment of
resources into projects that everybody knows don’t have the impact that
people expected them to have.

* More potential for innovation: Independent organizations have more
freedom to look at things from a fresh and different angle. While I was
still with WMF, everything needed to be done in MediaWiki. From the
perspective of the WMF that made sense. However, for what Wiki Ed needs to
accomplish, we believed that building our own software outside of MediaWiki
(but communicating with Wikipedia’s platform through OAuth) would be
better. Today, WMF is working on adapting Wiki Ed’s software to the needs
of a global community (see Edward’s email).

* Positive effects of competition: In a world, where organizations are more
independent, they won’t always choose a service provider within the
Wikimedia ecosystem. Instead they might decide to work with outside
contractors who are able to deliver better results in less time. As an
example, Wiki Ed worked with an outside contractor based in Seattle to
develop its dashboard. We could have partnered with WMF, but the project
might not have received the same level of attention. We’re happy with the
results, and now there’s one more company in the world that has a growing
understanding of Wikimedia’s requirements.

* Geographic diversity: if we decided to spin-off parts of WMF, we'd have
the opportunity to think about where these parts should be located. Given
the extremely high cost of living in the Bay Area and meager opportunities
for WMF to recruit people locally (for the many obvious reasons; e.g.
competing with Facebook and Google for talent is hard), some of the spun
off parts might be located in other regions of the world. This would make
the Wikimedia ecosystem more diverse than it is now and will most likely
reduce costs.

== CON ==

* Coordination gets more difficult: With parts of the WMF getting spun off,
coordination between these parts will be more vital than ever. The risk is
that one organization doesn’t know what another organization is planning to
do / started executing / learned along the way. A solid process of
communicating things can solve this. However, this requires the willingness
of everybody to communicate early and often. And, in fairness, this is
already an existing problem in need of better solutions, given the large
number of chapters and affiliates WMF already has (and even within WMF
itself).

* Need for more EDs with unique profiles: With a greater number of
independent organizations in our ecosystem comes the need for more leaders
who are able to run a nonprofit in the Wikimedia world. We’ve already seen
that this isn’t easy to achieve. Nonprofits don’t pay as well as others,
EDs need to be comfortable with being yelled at on public lists, people
really need to understand our world. How would we be able to mitigate this?
(1) With more geographic diversity comes a larger pool of candidates
(actually, not everybody on this planet believes that it’s desirable to
live in San Francisco); (2) We should invest more in developing leadership
from within. WMF has a long track record of recruiting people “from
outside” for key positions. I believe we can generally do better in this
area.

* More resources being spent on administrative stuff: If every new
organization creates its own finance / HR / communications department, more
resources in total will be spent on support work. That can either be
mitigated by creating specialized units which offer administrative/support
services to organizations within the ecosystem (at some point Garfield and
I discussed whether WMF should offer such services for Wiki Ed and/or for
affiliates) or by implementing these functions in a very lean way (that’s
actually the path Wiki Ed chose with e.g. having payroll done by an outside
contractor instead of doing it in-house).

* Smaller organizations might be weaker when it comes to partnerships: If
you’re the Wikimedia Foundation and you’d like to partner with, let’s say,
some Academy of Sciences, people at that institution will immediately
listen to you. Because you run one of the biggest websites on this planet.
If you’re a smaller organization, it’s more difficult to get someone else’s
attention. On the other hand, if we develop leadership from within, the
next generation of EDs may have existing connections to relevant partners
(as it was the case with Wiki Ed).

Now, do I believe splitting off parts of WMF and creating a “federation” of
organizations that deserves that name is better? Yes, I do. However, I
agree with Erik that this needs to be a “gradual process with lots of
opportunity to course-correct”. We have to let go of the idea that we’re
going to end up with an “ideal” organizational structure. We’ll have to
experiment and learn along the way. We might even have to reverse some of
our decisions in the future (which is ok). This all will take time, a good
amount of thinking, and everybody’s willingness to assume good faith. But
the recent developments at the Wikimedia Foundation have – at least in my
opinion – shown that thinking more thoroughly about the broader shapes of
our organizational structures is worth a shot.

Best,

Frank

P.S.
I'm using this email address only for mailing lists. Personal emails to
this account will be lost.