I think these are interesting discussions.  My first feedback -

Let's get as granular as possible about describing activities undertaken now.
Leave out the "by who" and org structure for the moment.

For example, I can even see five tech organization activities.  Internal IT,
website ops, back end dev, UI dev, and tools.

For every activity we need to understand who the customer(s) are.  Is that "the
reader", "free information concept globally", "the editor", "the foundation
organization(s)", "researchers", "the board", "large benefactors/donors",
"global movement", etc.  This is not complete, please add to it.

Customer focus is where we understand all the roles and customers, and align
organizationally so that orgs or sub orgs have as good a focus on a smaller
customer set and roles set as possible.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone