Spinning off comes with issues, as we will encounter issues like we
currently have with the QRpedia coding as thats now under the control of
WMUK all of the data being collected is sbject to UK provacy issues that
resulted in all the reporting functions being shut down... We also add to
the issue that when something like this looses local support those us who
are active users have no way to get improvements or changes...

   - Local laws for where its operated will be an issue
   - interest in maintaining and development will wain when communities
   choose other priorities because there isnt a local demand
   -

The reality is break out areas only generates further expenses with further
levels of management, only areas which service outside organisation and can
independently revenue generate like the mediawiki should be considered.
Like wise travel is an option given how much travel chapters & WMF create
using a WMF agency for booking could be beneficial, such an agency could
also consider insurance for travellers to cover cameras, laptops, other
similar such devices we carry , that would generate a revenue stream and
open avenues for event sponsorships.

NO I dont see fundraising department as an independent revenue generating
business,

Breaking up the WMF  to create more bureaucracy isnt the way go, every
thing should still be operated under the ED and BoT

On 25 March 2016 at 07:57, Erik Moeller <eloque...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We've since held three meetings[3][4][5] and have planned two more.
> > During the meeting planned for about six weeks from now[6], we intend
> > to have a format that allows us to respond to questions or concerns from
> > the larger community.
>
> This is very encouraging, Mark, thanks for the summary! It sounds like
> there's already quite a bit of traction for creating a MediaWiki
> focused organization. I'll try to join the upcoming meetings and
> provide input/help where I can. Is there an active asynchronous
> conversation space about this somewhere (talk page, listserv, forum,
> whatever)? If not, should we use
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_Stakeholders%27_Group
> for ongoing conversation about this?
>
> Thanks,