Hoi,
If anything they provide us a service. Anything they can do, we can do
integrated.  Anything they can do, we can learn from. Anything they prove
works better is often a discussion the others have lost their firm footing.

We are very much stuck in fixed thinking modes. It is why Wikisource is
only about its editors and not about its readers. For one Wikisource there
has been something like Wikiwand and nobody cared. We know we can improve
the quality of Wikipedia's links and redlinks in the same way we improved
interwiki links, the improvement will be measurable and quick and it is not
even considered. There is enough we can do better, it is known by many,
particularly by the developers and UI people.

We deserve Wikiwand because we could have done better. By making it a
company, the people behind Wikiwand put their money where there mouth is.
As an argument it is a strong one.

NB we are doing better in places. When you have followed the road towards
mobile integration you will agree. However, there is still so much that can
be done. It starts with reflection of many of our hobby horses and
ingrained positions.
Thanks,
       GerardM