Honestly this is kind of a bewildering set of hypotheticals to me.

You worry wikimedia is gathering new data and maybe selling it to marketers
and maybe releasing it to the community, or not, or some of them, or all of
them, based on:

An edit titled 'fixed two errors in cookie names' which...well, fixed two
errors in cookie names.[0] that's all the revision appears to contain.

Legal editing the cookie statement seems pretty usual to me, and the edit
(self-evidently) had nothing to do with changes to what is gathered. It was
copyediting.

There are a lot of things the Foundation does it could communicate better,
but legal tends to do a pretty good job: this edit is really evidence of
that since it's senior counsel taking time to make very very sure they are
reporting to our users precisely what is going on. If the WMF were to start
selling a reading list to Facebook, I'm pretty sure there'd be an
announcement, and I'm absolutely certain the policy change would need to
consist of a bit more than two typo corrections.

[0]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Cookie_statement&type=revision&diff=105722&oldid=104960