Hi Trillium,

These are great questions to ask, thank you for keeping the privacy
conversation on track!

As a technical employee of the Wikimedia Foundation who would have been
involved if we were planning significant changes to expand or limit
tracking, I can confirm that nothing rotten is in the wings.  In fact, the
situation is better now than ever before (in my 4 years here).  There are
internal accountability reforms under way to help us make strong guarantees
about our users' privacy.  A brief investigation into assigning readers
long-term unique identifiers--in lay person terms the gateway to dystopian
tracking--opened and was immediately shut again.[1]  Data retention (what
user data we collect and for how long) policy work is being tightened up,
and done in public.[2] In Fundraising, we've found a way to measure
aggregate data about our banner delivery without collecting information
which lets us correlate anything else about readers.[3]

While I feel good about what's happening now, it would be nice to have
longer-term assurances that we won't go collectively nuts in the
unforeseeable future.  I'm not sure what that assurance might look like,
though...  Democratic stewardship of our shared resources?  Anyway, please
do keep a critical eye on cookies and their brethren, and if you find
anything out of joint I'm sure there will be plenty of allies left within
the Foundation to help set it right.

Regards,
Adam Wight
[[mw:User:Adamw]

[1] Sorry, there was an all-staff internal discussion but I don't think
this was published.  The idea at the time was to get our house in order and
decide whether to start a public conversation about unique IDs.  There
turned out to be many strong critics of the plan and no real supporters as
far I could tell, and the initiative was abandoned, to my knowledge.  The
motivation for the project was to get a better estimate of our unique
visitor counts (a count of their devices, to be precise).  We've settled on
the less accurate "last visited" measurement instead, which is described
here: http://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/03/30/unique-devices-dataset/
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_retention_guidelines
[3] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lightening_banner_history.pdf