I talked to James throughout his trusteeship, and I have no doubt that he
for a second believed that his fidicuiary duty was towards anyone other
than the WMF. Two very different confidentiality issues have been conflated
w/r/t Jame's removal: the appropriate level of of confidentiality regarding
the KE, a significant movement engineering project (which is not terribly
high, imo,) and the appropriate level of confidentiality regarding the
concerns of staff members regarding leadership (which is much higher imo,
to the point that if James honestly believed that by disclosing a
particular piece of information revealed to him by a staff member he would
be endangering the possibility of future staff members approaching him with
similar concerns, it may be completely appropriate for James to
categorically not reveal that information.)

Fidiciuary duty is, unfortunately, an often misunderstood concept.  James'
duty was not to act how other board members thought he should act, nor how
outside counsel thought he should act.  To use an EXTREME example, and to
be clear, I have no basis to believe this was the case, if Lila had
personally committed severely inappropriate personal acts against an
individual staff member and in James' best judgement informing outside
counsel of that fact could harm the interests of the WMF- e.g., by not
having future whistleblowers' be willing to come forward to him, then it
would both be unethical and against Jame's fidicicuary duty as a trustee to
reveal this information to anyone - be they fellow board members, outside
counsel, etc.  James is absolutely 100% correct in stating that any
attorney retained by the Wikimedia Foundation, whether in-house (e.g.,
Geoff, Michelle,) or an outside firm, has, as their client, the Wikimedia
Foundation - not the staff members in question.  If outside counsel thought
that they in turn had a duty to their clients (the WMF) to reveal
information that James had revealed to them that he had received from a
staff member, outside counsel would be acting unethically if they then
didn't do so.  Jame's description of his events backs up everything he's
said publicly previously, with the exception of me adding "new WMF trustees
really need better training, and I can suggest nonprofit consultancies to
provide such if needed."

I find it bloody incredible that James, who was involved in figuring out
whether a formal task force was needed, was then excluded from it and
expected to suborn his personal judgement (which he cannot legally do) to
that of other trustees.  I know my involvement in Wikipedia-proper has been
at a nadir of late, but I've still been closely following events (and
expect that nadir to receed soon.) Ignoring Arnon, and other recent poor
decisions, I still have incredibly serious issues with the fact that we
have a trustee sitting FOR LIFE (Jimmy) who has been committing defamation
per se against James' this entire time, who is in his professional role, a
doctor.  WMF governance needs a VERY through review, and all of the issues
involved in this entire situation - including a trustee for life
continually failing his fiduciary duty by committing defamation per se
against James - needs a TRANSPARENT outside review as soon as possible, or
we face a literally existential threat to WMF's survival.

Best,
Kevin Gorman