On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Roan Kattouw <rkatt...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> If by old notifications you mean notifications from other wikis from a
> long time ago, you can dismiss those by clicking the X next to each
> notification on the right-hand side. Once dismissed they shouldn't
> come back. There's currently a bug with this though:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T121930#2292278

We haven't managed to reproduce this so far, but we believe it might
be related to browser plugins that block requests, like Privacy Badger
or AdBlock. If you are still encountering this issue, please report
that on Phabricator (or to me directly), and tell me whether you were
using such a browser plugin and whether disabling it fixed the
problem.

> We're also working through some bugs to do with notifications
> sometimes not being displayed, and an issue with non-SUL wikis that's
> causing notification counts to be wrong. I apologize for the
> disruption. The task tracking all the fallout issues from yesterday's
> deployment is https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T135239 .

The main issues here were notification counts being wrong, and
cross-wiki notifications not being shown for some wikis if you had
notifications from multiple wikis. Those issues are now believed to be
fixed.

I'd like to once again apologize for the disruption. We tried to make
this go more smoothly by releasing this feature in beta first, but
there were some issues we didn't find until we released to all users.
There were also some changes made late in the game that ended up
breaking things.

Thanks for bearing with us, and enjoy life with cross-wiki
notifications! If you experience any more issues, please let us know.