A few comments:

Limiting staff rights to being on an as-needed basis makes good sense to
me. There have a few incidents where staff have taken actions that they
shouldn't. Limiting the scope of staff rights helps to contain the
potential problems.

I'm sure that rights management becomes a more and more complex and
time-consuming task with such a large headcount in WMF.

As rights become more granular, understanding them and understanding logs
becomes complex too, so I'm hoping that we can try to find a good balance
between having rights and logs that are granular with having rights and
logs that are relatively easy for humans to understand and audit.

Thanks,

Pine