Greetings,

Apologies for our delay in this response. In addition to the holiday weekend,
questions related to HR issues require extra care and verification on our part.
But again, I do want to apologize for that process taking all week.

Regarding Lodewijk's questions about Sue's special advisor role, including the
timeline and how compensation was set, Sue served as a special advisor until
May 31, 2016. Her pay included compensation for her extended role during the ED
transition, and to match market rates for a role of this nature in
organizations of similar size to the Wikimedia Foundation. Our Board Chair,
Patricio Lorente, gave a response to the Signpost that provides more
information[1].

John asked about filing and other fees paid by Jones Day, and if the fees were
separate from consulting costs. Unfortunately, we don’t have an easy, quick way
to divide the Jones Day expenses into registration fees and legal fees, but we
can provide more information about where the costs came from. Each trademark
application costs about $1,000–5,000 (sometimes more), including filing fees
and attorney’s fees. The cost for each application depends on the country’s
application fees, the country’s administrative hurdles, the breadth of
protection we are seeking, whether we can reuse materials prepared for previous
applications, and whether we encounter resistance from trademark offices or
other trademark holders.

Finally, regarding John's question about non-program service investment in
Europe (page 35), this represents our foreign currency bank accounts with JP
Morgan in the UK. The purpose of this holding is to retain donations received
in EUR, GBP, CAD and AUD in their original currency to minimize currency
exchange risks.

I hope that clarifies the remaining questions, and again, thank you for your
questions and feedback both on this list and elsewhere.

-Gregory Varnum
Wikimedia Foundation

1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-05-28/Special_report